Economic Development Director for City of Westland
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$82,879 - $97,505 per year
- Posted Date:01/24/2019 10:52 A.M.
- Deadline to Apply:02/28/2019
CITY OF WESTLAND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
Reporting to the Mayor or designee, executive level position responsible for all aspects of leading City economic development interests. City liaison to the Brownfield Authority, the Downtown Development Authority (DDA), the Local Development Finance Authority (LDFA), the Tax Increment Finance Authority (TIFA) and the Westland Chamber of Commerce. The Director must communicate effectively with individuals and businesses seeking to establish, relocate or expand their business interests within the City. Serves as the key spokesperson for such entities as the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC), LARA, Wayne County EDC and similar entities. This position requires a team player attitude, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, attention to detail and ability to coordinate multiple activities and projects. The Director must have a clear understanding of professional business practices as they relate to the delivery of economic development municipal services. Director will regularly interact with Mayor, City Council, Directors and the public.
Responsibilities and Duties
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following duties; duties do not include all that individual may be expected to perform:
Plan, coordinate and supervise economic development initiatives including short and long term economic/community development plans, and promotion of the City as an attractive place in which to invest, locate or expand business
- Responsible for gathering of information and preparation of studies and reports regarding economic development trends nationally and locally, and community/economic development incentives and financing tools available to those investing in the City
- Analyzes existing economic situations relative to business attraction and expansion, negotiating where feasible and legally permitted to attract business through tax and similar financial incentives
- Analyzes capacity space for retail, office and industrial uses
- Collects, analyzes and compiles economic, market and demographic data for dissemination and in support of strategic economic development plans
- Supervise employees, contractors, interns and volunteers as they may be utilized within the department; monitors department budget and operations
- Makes presentations to City Council, various commissions or committees, civic groups, various Chambers of Commerce and the general public on economic development matters
- Serves as a customer service-oriented resource for the citizens, property owners, businesses and community groups; responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive issues related to economic development
- Develops professional relationships with business owners, developers, the public and various regulatory agencies among them Michigan and County EDC’s
- As liaison to the Brownfield Authority, DDA, LDFA and TIFA entities, Director will guide preparation of Authority meeting agendas and meeting minutes
- Promotes a positive, professional image of the department and City
- Communicates department activities and events to Mayor, City Council, committees or commissions and general public; and attend meetings as required or needed
- Other duties as may be assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of economic development, urban planning and marketing analysis in Michigan and regionally
- Excellent business management skills including financial oversight and accountability
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively with businesses, regulatory agencies, federal, state and county officials, the public and the Mayor and City Council with an emphasis on diplomacy, tact and discretion
- Working knowledge of municipal zoning and infrastructure, planning programs and processes
- Ability to lead, experienced decision-maker with appropriate and successful delegation
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to execute projects systematically to meet deadlines or other objectives
- Experience in budgeting, purchasing and negotiations
- Ability to prepare accurate, comprehensive written records and reports
- Ability to speak and write English
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Proficient in use of computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Publisher, etc. and use of other office equipment including copiers, telephones, scanners, calculators, cash registers, etc.
- Ability to respond outside regular business hours including nights and weekends and as they relate to assigned areas of responsibility
Education and Experience
Minimum requirements include a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, specialization in urban planning, economics, marketing or business management, or related fields; and/or five or more years of increasingly responsible administration of a large city economic development department or related operation.
$82,879 - $97,505
Interested applicants must submit a letter of interest, resume and credentials to the Human Resource Director no later than 4:00 p.m., February 28, 2019. Completed application packet must be submitted to Stephani S. Field, Director, Human Resources, City of Westland via email to email@example.com.