Buying or Selling your Home ?

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option



Ordinance No. 221 for existing dwellings in the City of Westland requires a certificate of approval before occupying of any residential building. The Home Resale Program requires a Certificate of Occupancy for residential dwellings. The Seller is required to purchase a home inspection by submitting an Application for Home Sale and Transfer Certification Inspection.  

The fees for home inspections are:        


Single Family - $ 180    Multiple Dwellings:  Duplex $360, ($20 for each additional unit)    Quad $400 


Form of payments accepted are cash and check. The Building Department also takes Mastercard, Discover & American Express for a nominal fee.

Inspection - Upon receipt of application and payment the initial inspection is set up to have a city inspector to inspect all structural, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing for code compliance. Click here for a list of items that will be inspected. All items on list must be repaired (weather permitting) before occupancy will be permitted. Allow three to four weeks to schedule initial inspection and final inspection. A copy of the inspection of items needing repair will be left in the kitchen's home on the day of inspection, unless otherwise requested. A final inspection from a city inspector is included in this fee. 

Be advised... A responsible adult (18 years or older) must be present for the inspector to perform the inspection. A lockbox entry can be performed ONLY if there are no personal belongings in the home. 

New Smoke detector and Carbon Monoxide alarm requirements
Beginning in March of 2011 the new 2009 codes have updated the life safety requirements for existing homes smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms are now required.  For additional information Click Here

Roof Letter Requirements - A letter stating that the purchaser is aware of the condition of the roof of the house he/she is purchasing and accepts it in "AS-IS" condition. To download a draft of an "AS IS" roof letter, click here.  If the purchaser previously signed an affidavit for a temporary certificate of approval, the roof letter requirements would have been already met in the affidavit that was signed.


Furnace Inspection - An inspection for furnace safety and a carbon monoxide from an outside mechanical contractor company who is registered with the City of Westland is also required. A Furnace/Boiler Certification form must be filled out by the mechanical contracting company which will confirm that a safety check and carbon-monoxide leakage test was performed. Click here for the required Furnace/Boiler Certificate form


Occupancy - After a final inspection and final approval is given by a city inspector, and the roof letter and furnace certificate is on file, then Certification of Approval is granted for Occupancy. No Occupancy will be permitted until all the requirements have been met, roof letter, furnace/boiler certificate and final inspection approval is granted. Once these requirements have been met then a written Certificate of Approval certificate will be available for pick-up at the building department after 1:00 PM the day following the final inspection.


CLOSING BUT DO NOT HAVE A FINAL CERTIFICATE OF APPROVAL- Ordinance requires that you obtain a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy.  What is a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy? A Temporary Certificate of Occupancy is paperwork that is granted for closing purposes only and places the responsibility for repairs on the buyer of the property.  It does does not permit occupancy.  All repairs must be completed within 6 months and must be re-inspected and approved prior to occupancy.  Be aware, that Title and Closing companies may also require this document if a Certificate of Approval has not been obtained in order to close.

Purchasers of Westland property may purchase a temporary certificate of occupancy for $40 after the home inspection has been ordered and performed. A Purchaser may purchase the Home inspection, (with a copy of his/her signed purchase agreement) for $180 at the building department. A temporary for closing purposes may be purchased by the purchaser for $40 after the inspection has been performed. The Temporary Certificate will be for closing purposes only, and DOES NOT PERMIT OCCUPANCY. The purchaser must sign an affidavit, which states that the purchaser is in agreement to assume the responsibility for completing the required repairs within six months, before occupying or allowing to be occupied.  A copy of the purchasers driver's license must be submitted with the affidavit. The fee for a temporary certificate is $40, payment of cash, check, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express are accepted at the building department. Temporary Closing paperwork can be issued on the spot at the Building Department if the above requirements have been met.


Effective March 6, 2009 - No Temporary Certificate of Occupancy Certificates for closing purposes only will be issued before the initial inspection. An inspection must be performed on the property by a city inspector.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer