Due to the Extreme Heat over the upcoming week, the City of Westland has opened an emergency cooling center for residents. Cooling Center hours and location.

The Great Lakes Water Authority is flushing and chlorinating the water main from Newburgh to Venoy from 7/7/2020-7/9/2020.  This maintenance will appear to be a water main break but isn't.  If you have any questions please contact GLWA at 313-999-3298.

Westland City Hall, City Parks and the Jefferson Barns Community Vitality Center are open for our residents. Online services and the City drop boxes are still available for residents to use.  The two drop boxes located at City Hall for bill payments (no cash please) and document drop offs that will be checked daily.  The Senior Friendship Center will continue to be closed until further notice.  Thank you for your patience in this unprecedented challenging time and please stay healthy.


No permit required

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option





You do not need to pull a permit for the following residentialimprovements:

R105.2 Work exempt from permit.

Exemption from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits are not required for any of the following:

(a.) Building Permits shall NOT be required for any of the following:

(i) One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.

(v) Sidewalks or driveway that is not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above adjacent grade and is not over any basement or story below. Engineering permit is needed for city sidewalk and approach improvements.

(vi). Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.

(vii)A prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.

(ix)Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.

(b) Electrical permits shall not be required for the following;

Repairs and maintenance: A permit shall not be required for minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.

(c) Mechanical permits shall not be required for the following;

(i)Portable heating, cooking, or clothes drying appliances.

(ii) Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.

(iii) Portable heating appliances.

(iv) A portable ventilation appliance.

(v) Portable cooling units.

(d)Plumbing permits shall not be required for any of the following:

(i) The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe; provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code.

(ii) The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

If you have questions whether or not you need toobtain a permit, please call the Building Deparment at 734 467-3212 between the hours of 9am-5pm, Monday - Friday.

If you need to obtain a building permit an Application for Plan Examination-Building Permit must be completed to obtain a building permit.The application for plan examination-building permit must be dropped off at the Building Department for review along with a deposit. Deposit is the $40 administration fee and the plan review fee which is calculated on the cost of the job. Please allow at least three business days for review.After 3 days -call the Building Department at (734) 467-3212 to see if approved.If denied, corrections must be made or information requested by the plan reviewer must be resubmitted to be reviewed again, which will take another 3 business days for review.When approved, you may pick up the permit at the Building Department, and at this time the balance of the building permit fees will be due. The building department only accepts cash, check or Mastercard, American Express & Discover for a fee. Only after the Building Permit is issued may work begin, violators will be subject to a $100 assessment added to their permit cost.

The following items must also be submitted along with permit:

  • Copy of mortgage survey or plot plan showing location of addition, fence, pool, shed,garage and etc.on property. If not available, a sketch showing all of the above with detailed measurements can be accepted in place of the mortgage survey or plot plan.


  • Two copies of clear, legible and detailed construction drawings. NOTE: For new commercial or industrial construction, three sets of sealed architectural prints are required. Allow up to one month for review of these construction plans.


  • For a new home, the homeowners permit application must include a notarized letter stating that the individual will live in the home for a minimum of six months after completion.

  • Areas inspected prior to issuance of a certificate of occupancy includes: structural, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing.


** A deposit of $40 administration fee plus the review fee will be collected when dropping off building permits needing plan examination. Cash, check or Mastercard, American Express & Discover are accepted forms of payment. The deposit will be subtracted from the total fee due for the Administration, Building permit and Plan Examination/Review fee.

A permit fee is collected to cover the cost of the application, the review and the inspection process. Once the permit is issued, work can begin.

On-site inspections will be required to make certain the work conforms to the permit, codes and plans. More than one inspection is typically required on a project.

Finally, the City Inspector-code official will provide documentation when construction is complete and a final approval will be given when full code compliance is met.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer