DDA 2019 Progress/Accomplishments
The City of Westland Downtown Development Authority (DDA) continued making progress on the goals and objectives laid out in the currently adopted development plan throughout 2019. The Ford Road Redevelopment project continues to be a top priority of the authority, as a highly visible, frequently traveled thoroughfare which helps to shape the identity of the community. Streetscape improvements were approved and installed along the Ford Road Corridor at major intersections, with irrigation repairs and installation also taking place in order to expand the beautification efforts in 2020. The board entered into a contract with Gibbs Planning Group and McKenna Associates for strategic planning consulting services related to the development of the city owned property between Newburgh Road and Carlson. In an effort to beautify this exciting development opportunity, the board approved tree cutting/clearing on the property, helping interested developers to see the vast potential the site possesses. Significant efforts were also made to market this location as representatives from the City, along with McKenna traveled to the ICSC RECon event in Las Vegas to meet with developers from across the nation and to generate a buzz around the redevelopment site. The board also approved financing for improvements to pedestrian walkways at Tattan Park, repairs to the Farmers Market pavilion and has budgeted for the purchase of park furniture in the 2020-21 Fiscal Year budget.
- Ford Road Streetscape Improvements – completed and ongoing
- Environmental and Demolition Work at 935 N. Wayne Rd. – completed
- Ford Road Tree Cutting Project - completed
- Phase 1 Environmental, Topographic and Wetland Analysis for Ford Road Redevelopment – to be completed in 2020
- Tattan Park Pavilion and Sidewalk Repairs – completed
- Blues Brews and BBQ
- Shop and Dine Campaign
- Weekly Farmers Market at Tattan Park
The Westland Downtown Development Authority was established in 1996 under Public Act 197 of the public acts of 1975 for the following purpose:
- Attract new desirable commercial, office and entertainment development to the city.
- Encourage opportunities for new development as a means of enhancing business activities and preventing deterioration.
- Improve the Community's tax base.
- Create new and expanded employment opportunities.
- Make the District more attractive and convenient for both residents and businesses
"The purpose of the Westland Downtown Development Authority is to bring about the redevelopment of the D.D.A. District by aggressively assisting existing business and recruiting new business opportunities. The Westland Downtown Development Authority will accomplish these objectives by providing business training, financing advice, design assistance, public relations and other support services.
The Westland Downtown Development Authority will act as a liaison between the business community and local government to represent the interest of the businesses in the District and create an environment for regional development. The development process will always keep in mind the needs of the businesses, residents and market demands by keeping an eye on the future"