Due to the current drop in temperature over this weekend, the City of Westland is closing it's cooling centers but will continue to monitor temperatures and reopen the cooling centers as needed. 

Westland City Hall, City Parks and the Jefferson Barns Community Vitality Center are open for our residents. Online services and the City drop boxes are still available for residents to use.  The two drop boxes located at City Hall for bill payments (no cash please) and document drop offs that will be checked daily.  The Senior Friendship Center will continue to be closed until further notice.  Thank you for your patience in this unprecedented challenging time and please stay healthy.


Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How do I apply for a job with the City?

City employment is governed by the Civil Service Commission for general employees and by the Police & Fire Civil Service Commission for police officers and firefighters.  The process for being hired by the City includes completing an employment application, providing references and other needed information and successful completion of testing, interviewing and background investigations.  The requirements for seeking employment with the City will be included in employment notices.  Applications are accepted for employment when a notice seeking applicants is posted on the City website and advertised in the City’s paper of record. 


How do I find information about job vacancies?

The City will advertise when it seeks to fill job vacancies.  Notices will be placed on the City website and in the City paper of record.  Applications are only accepted when the City has posted to fill a job vacancy.

I have a questions regarding my health or dental insurance coverage?

For specific questions regarding coverage you must call Blue Cross and Delta Dental directly at the numbers listed below.  If you have a general questions regarding your coverage you may contact the Personnel Department at (734) 467-3263.

Blue Cross Blue Shield and Blue Care Network (877) 790-2583

Delta Dental (800) 524-0149


I retired from the City and have moved.  How do I provide new contact information?

Please contact the Personnel Department via email to and include your complete name, old contact information and new contact information including complete address (street, city, state, ZIP) and a telephone number(s).  This information may also be provided via  U.S. mail addressed to the “Personnel Department” or by calling 734.467.3263.


I work for the City or retired from the City and need to update my life insurance beneficiary

The life insurance beneficiary form may be obtained from the Personnel Department home page. Please return the completed form to the Personnel Department via email to, by fax to (734) 467-7946 or by U.S. mail.   Please be sure to fill in the name, address and social security number for each beneficiary listed.

I have gotten married, had a baby, or need to remove an adult aged dependent from my insurance plan(s),

Please contact the Personnel Department via email to or call 734.467.3193.   A Certificate of Marriage must be provided when adding a spouse to one’s health plans.  Proof of live birth (or proof of adoption) is required to add a dependent to one’s health plan.  If removing an adult-aged dependent, please provide dependent’s name and contact information; in some cases, the adult-aged dependent is entitled to healthcare benefits under the federal COBRA.


I am a City employee; a member of my family is ill and I need time off to care for him.  What do I do?

Please download the appropriate Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) form “Certification of Health Care Provider for Family Member’s Serious Health Condition” found on this site.  Please complete your portion of the form and have the physician handling your family member’s healthcare complete this form which must then be returned to the Personnel Department.  If you qualify, the FMLA provides for up to twelve (12) weeks of unpaid leave time annually to care for an ailing family member (certain conditions apply).


I am a City employee and will need time off work due to a health condition.  What do I need to do so that I may address my health condition?

Please download the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) form “Certification of Health Care Provider for Employee’s Serious Health Condition” found on this website.  You must complete a portion of this form with your healthcare provider also providing information about your health condition.  Once this information is complete, please provide this FMLA form to the Personnel Department for processing.  If you qualify, the FMLA provides for up to twelve (12) weeks of unpaid leave time to address your serious health condition.


As a City employee, how do I obtain a copy of my Union contract?

All collective bargaining agreements may be found on the City’s website.


As an employee of the City, I would like to review my personnel file?

Please complete the “Employee Request to Review Personnel File” form found on the Personnel Department home page and submit it electronically or in hard copy to the Personnel Department.  The Personnel Department will schedule a time for you to view your file.  Every attempt is made to provide personnel files to employees for review within 48 hours of receipt of request.


I work for the City and would like to enroll in a deferred compensation plan, who do I contact?

The Finance Department handles enrollment into deferred compensation plans; please call 734.467.3169 to obtain information about the various plans available to you and to obtain enrollment forms.


I have changed banks, how do I update my direct deposit information with Payroll?

You may download the Direct Deposit Form from the Personnel home page and send the completed form the the Finance Department.  If you have any questions, please call 734.467.3169.


I’ve gotten married, how do I change my income tax withholding?

Please download, complete and submit to the Personnel Department the Federal W-4 and Michigan W-4 withholding forms found on the Personnel home page.  This information will be shared with Payroll for updating your personal information.