COMMITTEE ON DISABILITY CONCERNS
The Committee on Disability Concerns was created by ordinance and may consist of 3 - 7
members, serving without compensation, who are appointed by the Mayor.
THE CURRENT APPOINTED MEMBERS ARE:
Normie Brazier, Nancy Froreich,
Michael Harris, Ray Schuholz and Judy McKinney,
Cindy C. King, Personnel Director, City Liaison
FOR THE SCHEDULE OF 2013 MEETINGS OF THE COMMITTEE, CLICK HERE.
Any questions or concerns for this committee should be directed to Cindy C. King, Personnel Director (734) 467-3225 or via email to
Mission Statement: This committee is charged with the duty to research, educate, encourage and promote community involvement in the acknowledgement of the needs and concerns of disabled citizens. To further these principles, we will promote community awareness and accessibility for everyone.
Vision Statement: This committee envisions equal accessibility for all.
Under the ordinance, the Committee is assigned the following functions:
- To cooperate with other agencies in informational programs for residents of the community that are designed to increase awareness about disabilities and to prevent discrimination against the disabled.
- To promote and to initiate community education programs and provide educational materials in establishing disability discrimination awareness, to assure fair and equal treatment under the law to all citizens.
- To institute and conduct educational and other programs to promote equal rights and opportunities for all disabled persons, and to promote understanding among persons and groups with different disabilities.
- To promote mutual understanding and foster equality and respect among disabled persons and non-disabled persons so as to prevent discriminatory practices in every respect.
- To issue publications, studies or reports based on research in the field of disability discrimination, which in the judgment of the Committee will effectuate the purpose of this Committee and prevent discrimination against disabled persons.
- To investigate, analyze and study complaints and specific situations arising between disabled groups or individuals which result in tensions, discrimination or prejudice within the city and to offer its assistance in an attempt at conciliation or mediation of any problems that may arise in the community which violate the purpose and aim of this Committee.
- To make any recommendations for solutions and policies as the Committee deems necessary in its effort to prevent discrimination against the disabled within the community.