The list below shows all the current Boards and Commissions that help the Administration make the City of Westland thrive. Please click on the Board or Commission name to get detailed information about the board and it's members.
The Beautification Committee is governed by an eleven (11) member board appointed by the Mayor. Members serve a one (1) year term. Members must reside, work or have ownership interest in property in the City of Westland. The Committee meets once per quarter. The Committee assists with recognizing residents and businesses that have made an effort in preserving and enhancing the beauty of their property.
Member Term Expires VacantVacantVacant Vacant Vacant Vacant Vacant Vacant Vacant Vacant Vacant
The Board of Ethics is governed by a five (5) member board appointed by the Mayor. Members serve a three (3) year term, except that of those first appointed, two shall serve for 3 years, two for 2 years and one for 1 year. Members must reside in the City of Westland. Current City Officials or employees are not eligible for appointment. The Ethics Committee meets once per quarter as necessary. The Ethics Committee assists with written opinions on ethical questions and to engage in activity which promotes ethical behavior. Members must keep all complaints, requests for advisory opinions and all documents strictly confidential.
Member Term Expires VacantVacantVacant Vacant Vacant
The Board of Review is governed by three (3) members and two alternate members that are appointed by the Mayor and subject to confirmation of the City Council. Members are appointed to three (3) year terms. The Westland Board of Review reviews the annual assessment roll and hears appeals of real and personal property assessments. The board also corrects “clerical errors, mutual mistakes of fact, and homestead status” relative to the current and prior year’s assessment rolls. Board members must reside in the City of Westland. The Board meets the first Tuesday of every March, the third Wednesday in July, and the second Tuesday in December. The meetings are held at Westland City Hall, 36300 Warren Rd.
Member Term Expires Roderick Curry 02/05/2021Mel Tockstein (Chair)12/31/2021Dennis Weese12/11/2021 Dan Stachow (alternate) 03/05/2021 Vacant (alternate)
The Building Authority is governed by a three (3) member board that is appointed by the Mayor and subject to the confirmation of City Council. Members are appointed to six (6) year terms. Members must reside, work or have ownership property within the City of Westland. No member of the legislative body is eligible for appointment to the Authority. The Building Authority deliberates the issuance of financial bonds enabling payment for construction of municipal buildings.
Member Term ExpiresRobert Fritz03/05/2025 Roger Shifflett03/04/2025Steve Smith03/05/2025
The Civil Service Commission is governed by a three(3) member board with one member appointed by the Mayor, one appointed by the employees, and one by the Commission. Members serve a three year term. The Commission oversees the testing procedures utilized for hiring non-appointed, non-police and non-fire employees of the City of Westland. Meetings are held in January, April, September & November, as determined by Board Members. Meetings are held at City Hall, 36300 Warren Rd..
Member Term Expires Patricia Neal 02/09/2022 Walter Misiak 08/15/2020 Timothy Gilbert 07/18/2021
- The Commission on Aging is governed by an eleven (11) member board appointed by the Mayor. Members must reside in the City of Westland and be a member of the Friendship Center. At least six members must be 55 years of age or older. The Commission assists the Senior Resources Department Director in promoting the enrichment of the lives of senior citizens. Meetings are held in January, March, May, July, September and November at the Friendship Center, 1119 N. Newburgh.
Member Term ExpiresJohn Ericson02/22/2022Elnora Ford02/22/2020Diana Raymor01/06/2020Beth Welkenbach 10/11/2021 Desmond Jackson04/25/2021Regis Miller07/25/2020Francine Harper10/01/2021Diana Dallavecchia07/25/2020Larry Edick07/25/2020Eileen Rodak07/25/2022Mel Tockstein (Chair)02/22/2021 Evelyn Nash 02/14/2021
- The Disabilities Concerns Committee is governed by a seven (7) member committee appointed by the Mayor. Members are appointed to three (3) year terms. The Committee promotes the involvement and acknowledgment of the concerns of disabled citizens through research, education and encouragement. Committee members or their family members have a disability covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The Committee meets the third Monday of each month at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall, 36300 Warren Road.
Member Term Expires Tony Ferack 01/03/2021 Ryan Klotz 07/01/2022 Judy McKinney 01/03/2022 VACANT 10/06/2020 VACANT Ray Schuholz 01/03/2022 Steve Smith 01/09/2022 Stephani Field City Official
The CDCAC is governed by an Advisory Council that includes one member selected from each local member organization that expresses compassion for community development needs and activities and 1 Mayoral "at-large" appointment. Members are appointed to three (3) year terms. The Community Development Citizens Advisory Committee (CDCAC) provides community input as to the use of the City of Westland's Community Development Block Grant funds, received through the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development. The meetings of the CDCAC are held in February, March, April and August.
Member Term Expires Ray Schuholz 07/01/2020 Henry Johnson (Vice Chair) 07/01/2020 Delores Flowers 06/30/2020 Kimberly Dorsey 06/30/2022 Mel Tockstein 06/30/2020 Jennifer LaDuke 06/30/2020 Stephanie Bigelow (Alternate) 06/30/2020 Arthur Warren (Chair) 01/25/2021
The Compassionate City Committee is governed by an eleven (11) member board appointed by the Mayor. Members serve a one (1) year term. Members must reside, work or have ownership interest in property in the City of Westland. The Committee meets once per quarter. The Committee assists with identifying members of the community that have made a positive impact in the community with a random act of kindness or gesture to help an individual or organization.
Member Term Expires Deanna Adams-Stachow 05/05/2021Rodney Donald 05/05/2021Jo Anne Downing 05/11/2021 Jon Dubois 05/05/2021 Heather Jones 05/05/2021 Dan Stachow 05/05/2021 Eric Stoddard 05/05/2021 Jennifer Swartz 05/05/2021 Lori Wilson 05/05/2021 Shannon Ziegler 05/05/2021 Vacant
The DDA is governed by an eleven (11) member board appointed by the Mayor and subject to the approval of City Council. Members are appointed to four (4) year terms. Members must reside, work or have ownership interest in property within the DDA District that includes all of Ford Road and Wayne Road south of Ford Road to Glenwood. The DDA promotes and facilitates plans that result in continued development, redevelopment, revitalization and/or reuse of properties within the DDA district boundaries. Regularly scheduled board meetings take place the 4th Thursday of every month at 8:00 a.m. at City Hall, 36300 Warren Rd and are open to the public.
Member Term Expires Ralph Cabildo 02/19/2022 Robert Kelly (Chair) 10/17/2020 Anita Murray 11/02/2023 Jack Rea 10/01/2023 Vacant Sharon Scott 02/23/2024 Mayor William R. Wild Mayor Hassan Saab 09/17/2022 Gerald Danielewicz 10/01/2022 Joni Thrower Davis 01/07/2023 Jason Freese 07/18/2021
Economic Development Corporation (EDC)
The EDC is governed by a nine (9) member board appointed by the Mayor and subject to confirmation of the City Council. Members are appointed to six (6) year terms. The EDC promotes, facilitates and implements plans and projects that support economic and business development through programs and public improvement projects that create economic opportunity, provide entrepreneurial support, and preserve property values. The EDC reviews tax incentive requests received by the administration and provides a recommendation to the Westland City Council for a consideration at a public meeting of the Council. Members of the EDC also make up and serve as the Board of Directors for the Tax Increment Finance Authority and the Brownfield Redevelopment Authority.
Tax Increment Finance Authority (TIFA)
The TIFA was established pursuant to PA 250 which allows for the establishment of a special tax district in which revenue resulting from increases in the assessed value of the area containing a new development is diverted from the various taxing jurisdictions and used for financing of public improvements to support future development in the district. The TIFA establishes a development plan and an associated financing plan in order to encourage economic development within the district.
Brownfield Redevelopment Authority (BRA)
Brownfield properties are those in which the redevelopment or reuse of the property may be complicated by the presence or perception of contamination. Revitalizing and redeveloping these properties protects the environment, reuses existing infrastructure, minimizes urban sprawl and creates economic opportunities. The Brownfield Program uses tax increment financing (TIF) to reimburse brownfield related costs incurred while redeveloping contaminated, functionally obsolete, blighted or historic properties. The BRA meets following the submission of a Brownfield Redevelopment Plan. The Authority promotes and facilitates the revitalization, redevelopment and reuse of obsolete properties.
Regularly scheduled board meetings take place the second Tuesday of every month at 8 AM at City Hall, 36300 Warren Rd. and are open to the public.
Member Term Expires James Allen 02/21/2022 Mark Diehl 11/15/2022 William Ziemba (Chair) 12/04/2022 Matt Miller 05/04/2025 Leslie Fleming 03/19/2023 Scott Catallo 01/22/2024 Vacant 09/18/2021 Gretchen Heincke 02/05/2022 Gary Thomas 07/16/2024
The Historical Commission is governed by a nine (9) member board appointed by the Mayor. Members serve a five (5) year term. Members must reside in the City of Westland. The Commission collects, maintains, and preserves any materials and documents relating the the history of Westland and Nankin Township. The Commission also operates the Helen C. Brown Historical Museum at 857 N. Wayne Road. The Commission meets on the last Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at the Helen C. Brown Historical Museum. Members must be able to work at least one Saturday per month to provide bus tours, help with research and other necessary work at the museum, including but not limited to: cleaning, shoveling snow, light maintenance, organizing and digitizing archives and data entry. Special areas of need include gardening, technology and maintenance.
Member Term Expires Brenda Ozog 07/28/2020Ryan Eberhart (Chair)12/20/2022Jonathan Hays10/11/2022 Dennis Bozyk 03/07/2022 Eric Stoddard 04/25/2022 Cassandra Smith 03/07/2022 Vacant 06/06/2024 Vacant 11/15/2023 Vacant 11/15/2023
- The Housing Commission is governed by a five (5) member board appointed by Mayor. Members serve a five (5) year term. Members must reside in the City of Westland. The Commission is responsible for making policy and budgetary decisions regarding the Westland Housing Commission / Housing Voucher Program. Meetings are held the 3rd Tuesday, every month (January, March, May, July, September, November) at 5:30 p.m. at the Jefferson Barns Community Vitality Center, located at 32150 Dorsey Road, Westland.
Member Term ExpiresMark Neal (Chair)05/31/2024Delores Flowers09/07/2022Elizabeth Forbes06/17/2021C. Paschal Eze03/18/2025Meriem Kadi01/25/2023
The Library Board is governed by a five (5) member board that is appointed by the Mayor and subject to confirmation of the City Council. Members are appointed to five (5) year terms. Board members must reside in the City of Westland. The Board oversees the Library Director and the operations of the William P. Faust Public Library. Meetings are held the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Library's Community Meeting Room, located at 6123 Central City Parkway.
Member Term Expires Gary Chappell 06/20/2023 Jen Koralewski 08/07/2022 James Higgins (Chair) 06/20/2024 Gayle Nicholson 02/06/2021 Kathryn Sample 08/15/2021
The LDFA Board is governed by an eleven (11) member Board with 7 members appointed by the Mayor and subject to confirmation of the City Council, 2 representing schools, 1 representing Wayne County and 1 representing Wayne County Community College. Members are appointed to four (4) year terms. The Authority's primary objective is to encourage local development to prevent conditions of unemployment and to promote economic growth. Regularly scheduled board meetings take place the third Friday of March, June, September and December each year at 9 AM at City Hall, 36300 Warren Rd. and are open to the public.
Member Term Expires Robert Farsakian (Chair) 02/08/2022 Vacant 02/05/2022 Cheryl Newton 04/15/2023 Albert Phoenix 04/15/2023 Brendan White 07/01/2023 Ramzi El Gharib 07/01/2023 Dan Block 07/01/2023 Tony Spisak School Rep Geno Montayne School Rep Glenn Anderson County Rep Anthony Arminiak WCCC Rep
- The Local Officers Compensation Commission is governed by a seven (7) member board appointed by the Mayor and subject to confirmation by City Council. Board members serve staggered terms, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, etc. Members must reside and be registered voters in the City of Westland. The Commission determines the salary of all elected officials. The Commission meets up to fifteen (15) session days in odd-numbered years as established by the LOCC.
Member Term Expires Vacant
Diane Fritz 02/02/2021James Gilbert02/02/2022 Vacant Vacant Vacant
The MSB is governed by a five (5) member board that is appointed by the Mayor and operates as a non-profit organization. Members are appointed to three (3) year terms. The MSB oversees operations of the Mike Modano Ice Arena, the Municipal Golf Course, a home chores program, a park ranger program and a crossing guard unit. Meetings are held quarterly (Feb., May, Aug., Nov.).
Member Term ExpiresMack Mayfield09/07/2021Michael Reddy 01/03/2023Steve Smith04/20/2022 Delano Hornbuckle 01/31/2022 Vacant
- Westland's two (2) representatives to the board are appointed by City Council.
The eight-member board is comprised of two representatives each from the cities of Garden City, Inkster, Wayne and Westland. The Nankin Transit Commission provides bus transportation to seniors and handicapped individuals in the above four cities. Meetings are held in the Westland City Council Chambers the 3rd Thursday of the month at 5:45 pm.
Member Term ExpiresMichael Harris12/31/2021Andrea Rutkowski12/31/2021
- The Parks & Recreations Advisory Council is governed by a seven (7) member board that is appointed by the Mayor and subject to confirmation of the City Council. Members are appointed to a two (2) year term following each biennial election, with a term to begin January 1st and end December 31 of following year. Members must reside in the City of Westland.
The Advisory Council provides advice from a citizen perspective. The Advisory Council assists and advises the City with various agencies and programs, conducts outreach, enrollment, training and orientation; developments programs and activities, makes recommendations regarding the acquisition, development and administration of properties with recreational activities.
Member Term Expires John Albrecht 12/31/2021 Angela Anderson 12/31/2021 Sheree Conn 12/31/2021 Delano Hornbuckle 12/31/2021 Julie Slabaugh 12/31/2021 Jessica West 12/31/2021 Don Nicholson 12/31/2021
- The Planning Commission is governed by a nine (9) member board appointed by the Mayor and subject to confirmation of City Council. Members serve three (3) year terms. Members must reside, work or have ownership interest in property in the City of Westland. The Planning Commission reviews and recommends to City Council all applications for amendments to the Zoning Ordinance or zoning map, applications for special land uses, site plan approvals. and planned unit developments. Meetings are scheduled for the first Tuesday of the Month at 7 p.m., at City Hall, 36300 Warren Rd., unless this date falls on a government holiday, in which case the meeting will be moved to Wednesday.
Member Term Expires Debra Fowlkes02/18/2023Ruby Richards 03/02/2023Sam Durante07/07/2022Deanna Adams-Stachow 03/02/2023David Rappaport08/05/2020Ken Sharp (Chair)08/20/2020Andrew Spisak11/05/2022 Michael Williams 05/18/2021Lori E. Wilson09/17/2021
The Police & Fire Civil Service Commission is governed by a three (3) member commission established under P. A. 78 of 1935 with one member appointed by the Mayor to serve a six (6) year term, one member appointed by Police & Fire employees to serve a four (4) year term and one member appointed by the commission to serve a two (2) year term, thereafter, members serve a six (6) year term. The commission oversees the testing and hiring of police officers and fire fighters for the City of Westland.
Member Term ExpiresGrant Allen03/12/2025Luke McClendon08/19/2022 Dewey Reeves 07/17/2023
- The Police & Fire Retirement Board is governed by a five (5) member board with the following conditions per P. A. 245 (38.551), Treasurer of the City, one member elected by Fire employees, one member elected by Police employees, and two members appointed by Legislative Body. Board members serve four (4) year terms.The Police and Fire Retirement Board oversees the pension funds established for police and fire department retirees. The Police & Fire Retirement Board meet the second Monday of each month.
Member Term ExpiresAndrew Buck12/01/2022 Gail Reeves 09/26/2022Kyle Dawley06/30/2022Michael Reddy07/01/2024Steven J. SmithEx-officio
- The two representatives from Westland are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by City Council.
The Central Wayne County Sanitation Authority operates the incinerator used by five communities in western Wayne County: Dearborn Heights, Garden City, Inkster, Wayne and Westland.
Member Term ExpiresSteve Smith06/30/2021Mayor William R. Wild06/30/2021
The Westland Taylor Corporation is governed by a nine (9) member board consisting of all five (5) members of the Westland Housing Commission and four (4) additional members appointed by the Mayor. Members serve a three (3) year term. Members must reside in the City of Westland. Members of the WTC decide policy and budgetary matters related to the operation of Thomas Taylor Towers.
Member Term Expires Mark Neal 05/31/2024 Delores Flowers 09/07/2022 Elizabeth Forbes 06/17/2021 C. Pashal Eze 03/18/2025 Meriem Kadi 01/25/2023 Daniel Block 03/23/2021 Joanne Campbell 03/23/2021 Andy Spisak 03/23/2021 Eileen DeHart (Chair) 03/23/2021
- The Youth Assistance Advisory Council is governed by a thirteen (13) member board that is appointed by the Mayor. There are no term limits for board members. Board Members must reside or work in the City of Westland. The Youth Assistance Program Director reports activities and issues to the board for help and advice. The board assists the Director with necessary community resources. Members meet in January, April and October.
Member Term ExpiresMark CesarzN/ADiane DiemN/AMargaret HarlowN/ALinda LongN/AMark McConnellN/APaul MotzDirectorDouglas NorthN/AJames ThomasN/A Michael Reddy N/A Michael Londeau N/A Blake Perry N/A Rachel Holden N/A Vacant Vacant
- The Zoning Board of Appeals is governed by a seven (7) member board that is appointed by City Council. Members serve three (3) year terms. Members must reside in the City of Westland. The Zoning Board of Appeals may grant an appeal and modify the zoning ordinance based on practical difficulties or unnecessary hardships in carrying out the regulations of the ordinance. Variance applications are filed with the Clerk's office. Meetings are held the third Wednesday of each month at City Hall, 36300 Warren Rd.
Member Term ExpiresZBA AttorneyN/AHector Lebert (Chairman)06/21/2021Benny McGough05/12/2022Adam Gorring 10/15/2021 David Rappaport (Vice Chairman) 05/06/2023Eileen DeHart-Schoof05/12/2022 Mary Vellardita 06/06/2022 Merrill Downing 05/16/2023