News Flash

Home - Spotlight Carousel

Posted on: August 10, 2021

June Storm Information and Assistance

house flood image

Update - 9/30/2021

Registration Deadline for FEMA Assistance Extended to Nov. 12

The deadline for survivors of the June 25 - 26 severe storms and flooding to register with FEMA for individual disaster assistance has been extended to Friday, November 12, 2021.

The extension applies to survivors living in Wayne, Washtenaw, Macomb, and Oakland counties. 

Update - 9/22/2021

Wayne County Flood Assistance Grant Application Date Extended to September 24 at 1:00 PM

Wayne County has announced they are extending the date to receive applications for the Flood Assistance Grant Program until September 24th at 1:00 PM.  Visit the Wayne County Flood Assistance Grant webpage for more information and to apply.

Update - 9/7/2021
Wayne County Flood Assistance Grant

Wayne County Executive Warren C. Evans announced today a new $5.5 million flood assistance program to assist homeowners recovering from this summer's historic rainfall that resulted in flood and sewer damages to thousands of households.  Eligible residents can receive grants to help cover the cost of replacing goods, labor, and insurance deductibles related to flood damage, but not covered by FEMA or property insurance.

Wayne County was allocated $5,593,057 by the State of Michigan to fund this program.  Grants will be distributed to impacted residents to cover damages and costs.  To be eligible, the applicant's property must be located in Wayne County (outside of Detroit) and the property must be their residence, the damage must have occurred because of the June 25-26 weather events, and applicants must have applied for FEMA assistance.  Detroit residents can apply for assistance through a parallel program operated by the City of Detroit.  Applicants will need to submit an itemized quote and/or receipt from their contractor(s).

To apply for relief, residents can go to the Wayne County Economic Development website and provide the following application materials:

  • Proof of residence
  • Insurance claim (if applicable)
  • FEMA application number
  • Itemized quote and/or receipt for contractor work (if applicable)
  • Pictures of damaged belongings

The application period will be open for two weeks.  Applications must be completed by September 21, 2021.

Update - 8/26/2021

Multilingual Assistance is Available

Visit the FEMA website for multilingual information on how to register for disaster assistance with FEMA and what to do afterward.  Available in Arabic, Spanish, and more.

Update - 8/17/2021

FEMA Center Updates: Locations and Hours of Operation 

The state/FEMA disaster recovery center in Dearborn Heights and the document drop-off centers in Ypsilanti and Grosse Pointe will close permanently at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, August 19, 2021.  In-person assistance from FEMA representatives remains available at five other recovery centers and one document drop-off location in southeast Michigan. Individuals can visit any open center to get the help they need with the federal assistance process. 

Three centers listed below will close permanently on Thursday, August 19 at 7 p.m. ET:

  • Eaton Senior Recreation Center - 4900 Pardee Avenue  Dearborn Heights, MI 48125
  • Ypsilanti Township Civic Center - 7200 S. Huron River Drive   Ypsilanti, MI 48197                                          
  • Grosse Pointe Public Safety Building - 17320 Mack Avenue  Grosse Pointe, MI 48230

Four centers will begin new operational hours of 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET, Monday through Saturday, closed Sunday starting Friday, August 20, 2021. Location information for these sites is provided below to allow applicants to find the site closest to them:

  • Henry Ford Centennial Library - 16301 Michigan Avenue   Dearborn, MI 48126
  • Kemeny Recreation Center - 2260 S. Fort Street   Detroit, MI 48217
  • Maplewood Community Center - 31735 Maplewood St.  Garden City, MI 48135
  • Golightly Career and Technical Center - 900 Dickerson Ave.  Detroit, MI 48215

The recently opened document drop-off center in Harper Woods and the new recovery center in Hamtramck will be open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET, seven days a week, and can be found at the following locations:                  

  • Peace and Goodwill Baptist Church - 20955 Bournemouth St.  Harper Woods, MI 48225
  • Hamtramck City Hall - 3401 Evaline Street  Hamtramck, MI 48212

Additionally, individuals can find their closest center location by visiting the FEMA’s DRC locator page.

Survivors do not have to visit a recovery center to register or receive federal assistance. These centers provide a location for applicants to submit documents or discuss their case in-person with a FEMA or US Small Business Administration representative. Before visiting a recovery center, survivors should register for federal assistance one of the following ways:

  • Online at;
  • Using the FEMA App; or
  • Calling 800-621-3362 (including 711 or Video Relay). TTY users can call 800-462-7585. The toll-free numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET, seven days a week. Multilingual operators are available.

For more information about Michigan’s recovery, visit FEMA's Disaster site. FEMA assistance is currently available to residents in Washtenaw and Wayne counties. The deadline for individuals to apply for disaster assistance is Sept. 13, 2021.

Update - 8/10/2021

New programs to help you!

There are a number of new programs and ways to get assistance related to the June 25-26 storm event:

State of Michigan State Emergency Relief Program

The State of Michigan has opened their State Emergency Relief (SER) program to assist households with up to $1500 in home repair services, including flood related repairs.  SER also helps low-income households who are facing potential disconnect of energy and utility services, those in need of deliverable fuel, and other services.  Visit MDHHS for more information and the Application for State Emergency Relief (PDF).  If you need assistance with this program, Wayne Metro Community Action Agency can assist.  Contact them at  313-388-9799 or visit them at Wayne Metro for more information about this program and other available options.

Small Business Administration Disaster Loan Program

The Small Business Administration (SBA) is providing businesses, homeowners, and renters that suffered damage during the June 25-26 storm event Physical and Economic Injury Disaster Loans.  If eligible, the loans will provide the following:

  • Businesses and private non-profit organizations - loans can cover physical damage to their property along with working capital needs caused by the disaster.  This can include mitigation loans in addition to the repair loans.
  • Homeowners and renters - loans are available to repair or replace disaster-damaged or destroyed real estate and personal property, including automobiles.

The deadline for filing applications is 9/13/2021 for physical property damage and 4/15/2022 for economic injury applications.  

More information and loan applications can be obtained by:

Federal Emergency Management Agency Home Repair Assistance Program

Homeowners that are eligible for Individual and Households Program (IHP) assistance may also receive additional funds for specific mitigation measures.  These mitigations include:

  • Roof repair to withstand higher winds and prevent water infiltration.
  • Elevating a water heater or furnace to avoid future flood damage.
  • Elevating or moving an electrical panel to avoid future flood damage.

Visit the FEMA website for more information about the Individuals and Households Program and the Hazard Mitigation Assistance Program.  Application information is also provided.  Make sure to follow the steps included on the website and proof of ownership is required for all FEMA assistance.

Westland Community Development Homeowner Rehabilitation Program

Westland's Housing and Community Development Program has a Homeowner Rehabilitation Program available that provides deferred low interest loans for repairs of emergency housing conditions.  These loans are repaid when the house is sold or rented.  Visit our Housing and Community Development website for more information about the program and application.

Need assistance navigating these programs?  There are people to help you!

Wayne Metro and the United Way are there to help you find out what State and Federal programs you are eligible for and assist you with navigating those programs.

The United Way can be contact by calling 211 or visiting the 211 website

Wayne Metro can be reached at 313-388-9799 or visiting the Wayne Metro website.

FEMA Appeal Information

If you received a letter from FEMA declaring that you are ineligible for assistance or that your application is incomplete, you can still complete the application or appeal the decision within 60 days of receiving the decision letter.  The letter would have been mailed to you or uploaded to your Disaster Assistance Center account if you set one up.  Visit FEMA's website for more information on the appeal process and what you need to do to appeal.

The City of Westland is working to provide information on resources and programs to assist the residents and is also looking at other ways we can work on mitigating these issues for the future.  As programs and developments come available the City of Westland will be communicating them as soon as possible.  

Update - 7/27/2021

FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers (DRC) are there to help!

Residents can visit FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers to:

  • Learn about disaster assistance programs.
  • Apply for disaster assistance.
  • Check the status of your FEMA application.
  • Help you understand FEMA notices or letters.
  • Find housing and rental assistance information.
  • Get referrals to agencies that offer other assistance.
  • Meet with a Small Business Administration (SBA) agent.

To find the closest DRC:

  •  Use the online DRC Locator.
  • Text DRC and a Zip Code to 43362. Example: DRC 01234.

Current available locations near Westland:

  • 16301 Michigan Ave, Dearborn, MI 48126
  • 4900 Pardee Ave, Dearborn Heights, MI 48125
  • 31735 Maplewood St, Garden City, MI 48135
  • 2260 S Fort St, Detroit, MI 48217

Update - 7/16/2021

President Biden has declared a Major Disaster Declaration for Wayne and Washtenaw Counties.  This provided our residents more opportunity for assistance related to storm damage through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Individuals in Washtenaw and Wayne Counties can apply with FEMA for assistance through the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program in the following ways:

The FEMA application deadline is September 13, 2021 at 11:59pm.

The recent storm June 25 and 26, 2021 impacted a lot of us.  Unfortunately, storm damage has affected some residents of the City.  Governor Whitmer has declared a state of emergency in Wayne County due to the flooding caused by this storm.  

There are dumpsters located at the City Recycling Center that residents can drop off debris in instead of placing the debris on the curb.

If you were impacted by the recent storm, there are two forms that you can fill out  to report the storm damage you experienced and report a claim for storm damage with MMRMA, the City's insurance provider.

The first form is the Damage Assessment Reporting Form that provides an assessment of damage as required by State law.  This is not a claim for damages.  This form must be returned by July 2nd, 2021.

The second form is the MMRMA Incident Claim Form (PDF) to report a claim for damages with MMRMA, the City's insurance provider.  This form needs to be downloaded, filled out completely, and returned within 45 days of the reported incident.

Wayne County residents can call 211 to find help cleaning up debris form flood-damaged homes.

Operators will connect residents with volunteer and faith-based organizations that are able to assist them with debris clean-up. The 2-1-1 hotline operates daily from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

“The 2-1-1 service can help our seniors and other residents who are unable to clean out debris themselves find the assistance they need to safely restore their homes,” said Wayne County Executive Warren C. Evans. “Flood-damaged items must be removed to ensure homes are safe from unhealthy mold and other toxins. I encourage any resident who needs help removing debris to call 2-1-1.”

At this time, 2-1-1 cannot assist residents seeking financial help for flood damage. Residents who do not need assistance with debris removal should not call 2-1-1 about flood-related issues at this time.

What to Expect After Registering with FEMA

If you report your home is not livable, sanitary and safe when you register, it may be necessary for FEMA to perform an inspection of the damaged property. FEMA inspectors will contact you to meet at the address where the damage was reported. The inspector’s phone number may be from out of state, or show up on your caller ID as unavailable, so be sure to answer the phone. If the call goes to voicemail, the inspector will leave a call-back number, or you may receive a text message if no other contact is able to be made.  Due to COVID-19, inspections are being conducted from outside of your home, with the inspector following current CDC guidance. The inspector will not enter the home and will validate what happened by questioning you about the damage. Inspectors will also ask to do a video verification of disaster-caused damage by using a mobile device to walk through and view the home, when possible.  You will need to show the inspector your photo ID. You will not be asked to provide your social security number or bank account information. There is no cost for a FEMA inspection.

After your home inspection has taken place, a record of the disaster-caused damage is given to FEMA. From that record your eligibility for disaster assistance will be determined. If you qualify for a grant, the funds will be issued 7 to 10 days after your application. A letter will also be sent explaining the assistance you qualified for.  Reasonable accommodations, including translation and ASL interpreters will be available to ensure effective communication with applicants with limited English proficiency, applicants with disabilities, and other individuals with access and functional needs.  If you use a videophone, Innocaption or CapTel, make sure the specific number assigned to that service is listed as your contact number in your application. If you are communicating through Zoom or FaceTime, you can request an interpreter through Facetime or an interpreter and captioning through Zoom.  You may invite a designated party, such as a household member, relative or friend, to assist in communicating with the inspector.

All FEMA inspectors can be identified by their official federal photo ID badge. If you are in any doubt when receiving a call or an inspection visit from someone stating they are FEMA personnel, do not give out any information, but call 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. ET to verify the call or visit is legitimate.

If you suspect someone is committing fraud, call the FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721 or your local police department.

For more information about Michigan’s recovery, visit

Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

  • Where can I call to report standing water, water that is still entering the structure, or any other storm damage related problems:
    • You can call the Department of Public Service at 734-728-1770 and select option #7.  For after hour non-storm related water issues, please call the Westland Police Department Non-Emergency line at 734-722-9600.  For any life threatening issues, please call 911.
  • How will my destroyed items be removed:
    • Please document and get photos of all items to be thrown away and then place in front of your house and City waste removal trucks will remove the items as they work through all the City's neighborhoods. No phone call is needed to schedule a pickup.
  • Can I get sanitary clean up kits from the City:
    • Yes, sanitary clean up kits are available from the City by calling Mayor Wild's office at 734-467-3200 during normal business hours.
  • How did this storm damage happen:
    • On June 25 and June 26, approximately 6 to 7 inches of rain fell on Southeast Michigan.  This massive amount of rain fall in a relatively small amount of time overwhelmed the entire Southeast Michigan storm sewer system causing backups into structures and other storm damage.
  • Where can I get the proper forms to fill out if I had storm damage:
  • Is proof of ownership required by FEMA:
    •   Proof of ownership is required for most of the FEMA programs.
  • What do I do once I fill out the MMRMA incident claim form and gone online to the FEMA Disaster Recovery website:
    •   Once you have filled out those forms, make sure that you follow up with FEMA and any other organization that you applied for assistance through.  Visit the FEMA website for more information about what to expect after you apply.  Creating an online Disaster Assistance Center account is an important and easy way to review your application.
  • What is the letter I received from The City Attorney's Office:
    •   This is a notice letter sent from the City Attorney's Office letting you know of the legal requirements from Public Act 170 of 1964, as amended by Public Act 222 of 2001.  This is NOT a denial of your claim.  It is only an informational letter to let you know of the legal requirements related to your claim and the criteria that the claim will be considered under.
  • What if I was declined assistance from FEMA:
    •    If you received a letter from FEMA declaring that you are ineligible for assistance or that your application is incomplete, you can still complete the application or appeal the decision within 60 days of receiving the decision letter.  The letter would have been mailed to you or uploaded to your Disaster Assistance Center account if you set one up.  Visit the FEMA website for more information about the appeal process and the steps you need to do.
  • What should I do if my landlord is not repairing or registering our property:
    •   FEMA requires all landlords to begin clean-up immediately.  If your landlord is not repairing or registering their property with FEMA, the property can be tagged as uninhabitable and vacated.  FEMA funding will be used to relocate occupants of those properties.  Contact Ralph Welton by email or call 734-467-3210 to report a property that is not being repaired or registered and we can assist with getting your concerns resolved.
  • What is the City of Westland doing to stop this from happening again:
    •   The City of Westland is working with County, State, and Federal organizations to find ways to prevent a storm event like this from impacting our residents to this degree.  Review of causes for backups and how different aspects of our sanitary and storm systems can be changed to assist in preventing backups are being investigated.  Grants and other programs for funding mitigation steps are also being reviewed and applied for.  Pilot programs and other options like sump pumps for residents are among some of the options we are urgently investigating.

The following are CLEAN-UP TIPS provided as a recommendation to assist with cleanup efforts:

*After the waters have receded, flush out and disinfect plumbing fixtures before resuming normal use.
*Avoid flushing toilets or using other water connected to appliances or fixtures. The discharge from these items may back up into the basement.
*The cleanup and drying of the basement should occur as quickly as possible to minimize mold and risk of problems.
*Clean appliances and/or ductwork. If electric motors, wiring or insulation have been saturated, have a qualified service technician remove the motor, dry it, and inspect for damage before plugging it back in and turning it on.
*Discard or properly wash and disinfect toys, clothing and other contaminated objects.
*Do not attempt to stop the flow of sewer back up through the floor drain or any other sewer drain. Any added obstruction could cause serious damage to your household drainage system and possibly a catastrophic rupture of the household sewer drainage system.
*Do not track sewage from the basement into the living areas of the house.
*Do not use any electrical equipment while standing in water.
*Do not use heat to dry closed building interiors; mildew and expanded water damage may result
*If a dishwasher, washing machine, shower, bathtub, toilet or other water fixture is operating shut it off immediately.
*If your basement walls are finished with drywall, all the areas contacted by water must be removed and disposed of within 24 hours. Once these items get wet, they retain moisture long enough to grow mold. Removing the wallboard also allows air to circulate around the wood studs so that they dry completely and will not need to be replaced.
*Keep children and animals out of the affected area.
*Move any uncontaminated property away from the affected areas.
*Operate wet vacuums only when plugged into a ground fault circuit interrupter or ground fault equipped outlet.
*Potential health and safety hazards must be identified and eliminated prior to implementing cleaning or restoration procedures. Before entering the affected area the potential for electrical shock hazards and gas leaks must be assessed.
*Remove and discard upholstered furniture and porous wood furniture stained by sewage.
*Sanitize and clean hardwood furniture, then thoroughly wipe, dry and apply an oil-based wood polish.
*Sanitize and repair, or remove and discard, paneling, wallboard or wall coverings.
*Treat all water soaked surfaces, furnishings and items as contaminated until properly cleaned & sanitized.
*Turn off the gas (or other fuel sources) to your furnace or heater and hot water heater.
*Unplug all electrical appliances, small electrical devices on the wet floor covering or other wet areas and turn off the circuit breakers supplying the electricity to affected areas.
*Ventilate the affected area with floor fans and a dehumidifier, if available, to properly dry the area. If it has not been directly contacted by water, activate the building’s heating, ventilation and doors when conditions are favorable.
*Wear protective clothing such as rubber boots, gloves and eye protection during cleanup and removal. To remove gloves turn them inside out, without touching the contaminated exterior.
*Dispose of them properly.
*Wet-vacuum to remove spillage. 

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home - Spotlight Carousel

Deck the City Hall

Deck the City Hall

Posted on: November 19, 2021
State of the City 2021

2021 State of the City Address

Posted on: November 18, 2021
B and C Slideshow

Get Involved! Join a Board or Commission

Posted on: December 17, 2020

Curbside Recycling Information

Posted on: December 1, 2020