2020 Election Dates - State General Election (November 3, 2020)
- In-Person Registration - October 20, 2020 - November 3, 2020
- Mail / Online Registration Closes - Monday, October 19, 2020
2020 Notice of Pre-Processing Absentee Ballot Envelopes
In accordance with Section 765(6) of Michigan Election Law as amended by SB 757 of 2020, notice is hereby given that pre-processing of Absentee Ballot envelopes received by the Office of the City Clerk, City of Westland, Michigan, for the November 03, 2020, Presidential Election will occur on November 02, 2020.
Pre-processing will commence at or after 10:00 AM, and will conclude at or before 8:00 PM. This activity will take place at Westland City Hall, located at 36300 Warren Road, Westland, MI 48185.
Register to Vote
There are two options for registering to vote:
- View the Michigan Voter Registration (PDF), complete the Voter Registration Application, and return to the City Clerk's Office by mail or in-person.
- Register online at the Michigan Voter Information Center.
If you register by mail or email and are a first time Michigan voter, you must vote at your designated Polling location and show your picture identification on Election Day. You may register by mail, online or in-person at the City Clerk's Office up until fifteen days prior to each election. Registration fourteen days prior to Election Day, up to and including Election Day, must be done in person at the City Clerk's Office with "Proof of Residency."
Acceptable Proof of Residency
Acceptable proof of residency are:
- Valid Michigan driver's license or personal identification card
- Copy of a pay stub, utility bill, bank statement, or government document with your name and address printed on it.
Acceptable Forms of Picture Identification (ID)
You will be asked to show photo ID at the precinct when voting or if receiving an absentee ballot in person at the City Clerk's Office. A voter who does not have an acceptable picture ID or did not bring an acceptable picture ID to the polls will be allowed to vote after signing an Affidavit of Voter Not in Possession of Picture Identification at the poll location.
Following is a list of acceptable forms of picture ID. All forms must be current, except for a Michigan Driver's License or PID. Acceptable forms of ID are:
- Driver's license or personal identification card issued by another state
- Federal or state government-issued picture identification
- Michigan driver's license or personal identification card
- Military identification card with a picture
- Student identification with a picture from a high school or an accredited institution of higher education
- Tribal identification card with a picture
- U.S. passport