Property Exemptions


There are four main exemptions that are available to residents to use for appeals to reduce their property taxes:

  • Poverty Exemption
  • Disabled Veteran Exemption
  • Principal Residence Exemption
  • Property Tax Exemption due to type of organization

Poverty Exemption

Residents may also appeal to the Board of Review if they are facing financial hardship. To appeal due to a hardship, you must complete a Poverty Exemption Application and provide documentation of income along with other documents (i.e., Federal and State returns, Homestead Credit, mortgage and banking information, etc.) to the Assessor's Office.  You can view the Guidelines and Application Instructions for the Poverty Exemption (PDF).

Disabled Veterans Exemption

Veterans that are disabled and who was discharged from the armed forces of the United States under honorable conditions or his/her surviving unmarried spouse may request an appeal of their property taxes.  An Affidavit for Disabled Veterans Exemption (PDF) most be completed and returned to the Assessor's Office before the December Board of Review.

Principal Residence Exemption

An owner of a property that should have a "principal residence exemption" or "qualified agricultural" on the property by June 1 may appeal to the July Board of Review for the current year and the preceding three years if the exemption was not on the roll.

Property Tax Exemption due to Organization Type

It is possible to claim an exemption to your property taxes if the organization is a library, charitable, educational, scientific, or religious institution.  A City of Westland Property Exemption Application (PDF) must be filled out and returned to the Assessor's Office before January 31st to be considered for the next year's tax roll.  If you cannot meet this deadline the application must be filed before the adjournment of the March Board of Review.